Community Nursing Home
In association with
Mark S. Vaughan, Architect
Cameron Till, P.E.
Community Nursing Home was originally built in the 1920’s and was subsequently
expanded during the intervening years. In the early 1990’s the nursing home
administration initiated another, much needed expansion of the facility.
Because the nursing home is a |
Despite the challenging budget and code requirements, it was decided early in the design process to break away from the mundane features of drab, double-loaded corridors, institutional green walls, and existing spaces that fail to brighten the lives of the people who live and work here.
|Aluminum clad wood windows, brick, concrete block; oak trim and vinyl flooring are economical, durable and easily maintained. They are combined in a limited range of patterns, colors, and textures to create spaces that stimulate the senses instead of dulling them, and at the same time they remain familiar and comfortable.|
The form and plan of the building also attempt to provide comfort through opportunities for both meditation and interaction. The gently curved corridor is punctuated with natural light from windows that look out onto narrow garden spaces and a courtyard. An oak bench across from a low window provides a place to pause or sit alone or with a friend. A tall vestibule lit by clerestory windows celebrates the entry to the dining room which opens out to another small garden area. Many of the residents helped to choose donated furnishings for the visitation room where family and friends can meet.